The Rivers Centre
The Rivers Centre is a specialist trauma service dedicated to addressing the health, social and welfare needs of people affected by psychological trauma. It is delivered by NHS Lothian and offers help to people who have experienced traumatic events.
Trauma can affect people in many different ways. Support offered is flexible and can include:
- evidence-based, and arts, therapies
- group work
- links to community services
A referral is required for adults living in Lothian who are aged 18 years or over. This service is for people who have experienced
- a single traumatic event (e.g. physical assault, sexual assault, road traffic collision) that has led to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- a series of traumatic events (e.g. repeated childhood abuse, prolonged domestic violence)that has led to Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
If you would like to be seen at the Rivers Centre for the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) please ask your GP to refer you directly to the Rivers Centre.
For the treatment of Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (C-PTSD) please ask your GP to refer you to your local mental health team, who will be able to access clinical services at the Rivers Centre if appropriate.
Intended Client Groups:
- People Experiencing Mental Health Difficulties
- adults experiencing psychological difficulties following trauma, aged 18 - 65
This service is available to residents of all parts of Edinburgh
Applicants for this service should also meet this condition:
People aged between18-65 who are experiencing a reaction to adulthood trauma.
GP, Psychiatrist, Community Mental Health Team.
This service is available by appointment only.
Contact Info. & Service Address
1st Floor, Fountainbridge Library Building
137 Dundee Street
Monday - Friday
9.00 am - 5.00 pm
Tel: 0131 451 7400
Facilities & Access
This service has the following facilities:
- Public Parking
Limited parking available
- Wheelchair Access
- Information in community languages
- Translation Service
Some information available in Arabic and Turkish.
- Council translation service available on request.
- Creche facilities are not available at this location.