re:discover (Health in Mind)
re:discover befriending offers matches for up to 6 months. It is currently available to anyone feeling isolated due to experiencing mental health difficulties and living in Edinburgh, Midlothian or the Scottish Borders.
A volunteer will:
- Build the person’s confidence and self-esteem
- Provide more opportunities for social contact
- Support them in building relationships with others
- Encourage them to take part in local activities or groups
- Help them to pick up old hobbies and interests and discover new ones
How To Get In Touch
Within re:discover Edinburgh, the befriending team review all referrals at the end of each month. Due to high demand for the service they are only able to meet with a limited number of people each month.
*Please note we are unable to take referrals from people living in North East Edinburgh.
We arrange to meet with those that we feel would benefit most from using our service. We’ll send a letter by the middle of the following month.
The next deadline for new referrals will be 30 August 2019.
How To Get In Touch
Referrers including self-referrers can call the Re:discover team on 0131 225 8508 for more information.
Intended Client Groups:
- People Experiencing Mental Health Difficulties
This service is open to residents of these areas:
- North West
- S Central
- South East
- South West
Applicants for this service should also meet this condition:
Adults aged 18 and above, who are socially isolated or be at risk of social isolation as a result of experiencing mental health difficulties
This service accepts direct self referrals.
Community Mental Health Teams
Contact Info. & Provider's Address
40 Shandwick Place
Monday - Friday 9.00am - 5.00pm,
Tel: 0131 225 8508
Facilities & Access
This service has the following facilities:
- Public Parking
Metered parking nearby
- Information in community languages
- Translation Service
- It is possible to meet someone elsewhere if they are unable to access the building
- This service is not accessible to wheelchair users.
- Creche facilities are not available at this location.
Public Transport Information
Lothian Regional Transport Buses - 4, 12, 25, 26, 31, 33, 44, 44A, 100, X12, X26, X31, X48
Provider's Name: Health in Mind
Type: Charity/VoluntaryHealth in Mind is a Scottish charity, which works to promotes the health and wellbeing of people who experience mental health difficulties.
Services run by this provider
- Counselling Services – Health in Mind
- Depression and Anxiety Support Group
- Equal Access (Health in Mind)
- Guided Self Help (Health in Mind)
- Lothian Deaf Counselling Service
- MAPS – My Assets and Personal Strengths
- Oasis (Health in Mind)
- Pathway – Men (Health in Mind)
- Pathway – Women (Health in Mind)
- re:discover (Health in Mind)
- The Listening Space
- The Wellbeing Space
- Trauma Counselling Line Scotland
- Wellbeing Gateway in South West Edinburgh