Legal Services Agency
The Legal Services Agency (LSA) provides legal advice and representation to people with mental health problems, acquired brain injury and dementia, their families and carers.
People with mental ill health often have legal difficulties which are compounded by their diagnosis and they often do not get the help and legal assistance they need. LSA’s specialist projects offer a high-quality, experienced and holistic service. We understand and focus on the needs and interests of people with mental ill health or dementia rather than profit. We have close links with community and national organisations working in mental health.
We represent clients in the following areas of law:
- Detentions, applications and appeals to the Mental Health Tribunal for Scotland under the Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003
- Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000, including medical treatment, Intervention Orders, Financial and Welfare Guardianship
- Financial matters, including Powers of Attorney and Financial Guardianship
- Children’s hearings and referrals to the Sheriff Court
- Family law, including residence and contact with children
- Community care – getting the services required
- Equality and discrimination
Intended Client Groups:
- People Experiencing Mental Health Difficulties
This service is available to residents of all parts of Edinburgh
Applicants for this service should also meet this condition:
Experiencing mental health difficulties, caring for persons with mental health difficulties, resident in Edinburgh, East, West, Midlothian.
This service accepts direct self referrals.
This service is available by appointment only.
Contact Info. & Provider's Address
5 Shandwick Place
Monday - Friday 9:00am - 1:00pm & 2:00pm - 5:00pm
-Monday - Friday 9:00am - 1:00pm & 2:00pm - 5:00pm-
Facilities & Access
This service has the following facilities:
- Public Parking
Metered parking 200 yards away
- Wheelchair Access
- Translation Service
- Home visits also available.
- Creche facilities are not available at this location.
Public Transport Information
All Lothian Regional Transport Bus Numbers to Princes Street and West End.