Guided Self Help (Health in Mind)
With a Guided Self Help worker, the service aims to help you gain an understanding of your own problems, and come up with strategies for overcoming them. This short-term approach is based on cognitive-behavioural principles with a proven evidence base.
Workers will assist you to explore and develop their own solutions, tailored to your specific needs. This involves the use of high quality self-help materials, such as workbooks, books, websites, signposting towards other services, as well as focusing on lifestyle factors, such as relaxation and sleep.
How to Get In Touch
If you live in Edinburgh, you would visit your GP and ask them to refer you to the service.
If you live in Midlothian, you can also ask your GP for a referral or you can visit the Midlothian Wellbeing Access Point or your Wellbeing Practitioner and ask for a referral. In Midlothian, Wellbeing Practitioners are based in eight local GP practices in Bonnyrigg, Dalkeith, Eastfield, Newbattle, Newbyres and Penicuik.
The Guided Self-Help Team provides the service in local health centres throughout Edinburgh and Midlothian as well as the Health in Mind offices at 40 Shandwick Place in the west end of Edinburgh.
Intended Client Groups:
- People Experiencing Mental Health Difficulties
This service is available to residents of all parts of Edinburgh
Applicants for this service should also meet this condition:
Unable to accept clients currently misusing drugs or alcohol
This service is available by appointment only.
Contact Info. & Service Address
40 Shandwick Place
Monday - Thursday 9.00am - 5.00pm
& Friday 9.00am - 4.30pm
-Monday - Thursday 9.00am - 5.00pm & Friday 9.00am - 4.30pm-
Facilities & Access
This service has the following facilities:
- Public Parking
Metered parking nearby
- Information in community languages
- Some of the projects meet the needs of those with mobility issues but not if they require permanent use of a wheelchair
- This service is not accessible to wheelchair users.
- Creche facilities are not available at this location.
Public Transport Information
Dependent on location: several bus routes go to the main office (4, 12, 26, 44/A)
Provider's Name: Health in Mind
Type: Charity/VoluntaryHealth in Mind is a Scottish charity, which works to promotes the health and wellbeing of people who experience mental health difficulties.
Services run by this provider
- Counselling Services – Health in Mind
- Depression and Anxiety Support Group
- Equal Access (Health in Mind)
- Guided Self Help (Health in Mind)
- Lothian Deaf Counselling Service
- MAPS – My Assets and Personal Strengths
- Oasis (Health in Mind)
- Pathway – Men (Health in Mind)
- Pathway – Women (Health in Mind)
- re:discover (Health in Mind)
- The Listening Space
- The Wellbeing Space
- Trauma Counselling Line Scotland
- Wellbeing Gateway in South West Edinburgh