Family Group Decision Making (FGDM)
City of Edinburgh Council has launched a Family Group Decision Making (FGDM) pilot project for adults in Edinburgh. Where there are concerns about an adult a family meeting may be the best way of deciding on action. The approach is based on the belief that when given all the information, and the structure to support decision making, people and their family/ network are able to find solutions to the difficulties that they face. It recognises that family and friends have a life-long commitment to each other, and therefore often have a better understanding of how to help. The term family includes anyone the person identifies as significant or important to them.
The model, which originated in New Zealand, brings relatives, friends and professionals together in one meeting “the family meeting”. The agenda for this meeting is set by the family themselves and they agree who should attend. Preparation is carried out by the FGDM co-ordinator who visits everyone, to hear their point of view and make sure they understand the concerns and issues to resolve.
Examples of when a family meeting can be used:
• An individual/family is at risk of homelessness.
• To help reduce isolation.
• Support to reduce carers stress
• Support required to help someone remain at home or leave hospital
• Involving family in care planning for people with disabilities alongside Self Directed Support.
• Supporting family to reconnect with other family and networks
For more information please call: 0131 221 2210
Intended Client Groups:
- Risk of Homlessness, Family,
This service is available to residents of all parts of Edinburgh
Applicants for this service should also meet this condition:
The service is open to all adults aged over 16
This service accepts direct self referrals.
Contact Info. & Service Address
249 High Street,
Monday - Friday: 9am to 5pm
Tel: 0131 221 2210
Facilities & Access
This service has the following facilities:
- Public Parking
- Wheelchair Access
- Translation Service
- Creche facilities are not available at this location.
Provider's Name: City of Edinburgh Council
Type: Local CouncilBased in Scotland's capital city, the Council provides a range of public services to over 498,800 citizens. The City of Edinburgh Council is responsible for providing political leadership and governance for a comprehensive range of services across the city.
Services run by this provider
- Advice Shop
- Direct Payments
- Edinburgh Carer Support Team
- Emergency Social Work Service
- Family Group Decision Making (FGDM)
- Get Up and Go
- Home Care Service
- Homelessness Services (Edinburgh Council)
- Mental Health Officer Service
- Positive Steps
- Safer Families Edinburgh
- Self Directed Support
- Social Care Direct
- Social Care Direct – Assessing Your Needs
- Social Work – Adult, Health & Social Care
- Social Work – Children & Families
- Supported and Sheltered Housing
- The Access Point
- Travel Discounts for People with Disabilities and Mental Illnesses