Choose Life is Scotland’s Suicide Prevention strategy.
If you are feeling suicidal or are worried about someone else, don’t try to cope alone. Speak to someone you trust or call a helpline. Most people who are having thoughts of suicide do not want to die, they want to end the pain they are currently feeling. If you think someone you know is having suicidal thoughts – ask them.
There are some helpful contacts below you could pass on to them.
Edinburgh Crisis Centre on freephone 0808 801 0414
Samaritans local branch on 0131 221 9999 or national line 116 123. You can also drop in at 25 Torphichen Street, Edinburgh, EH3 8HX between 9:00am – 10:00pm. This location is wheelchair accessible.
Breathing Space on 0800 83 85 87 (between 6.00 pm and 2.00 am every day)
Edinburgh City has a nominated Choose Life co-ordinator who plays a key role in implementing Edinburgh City’s local action plan. Edinburgh City has identified a wide range of local priorities for action with a particular focus on:
- educating and raising public awareness of suicide prevention
- delivering prevention and intervention actions
- providing practical support to those affected by suicide
- working with a wide range of partners to ensure that suicide prevention is everyone’s business
- training the general public and key professional groups in suicide awareness and intervention skills.
- SuicideTALK – short session that raises awareness of suicide, and provides a solid foundation for suicide prevention.
- SafeTALK – a half a day course that explores how you would ask someone if they were thinking about suicide.
- ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) – a two day course that offers practical help to enable caregivers to recognise and intervene to prevent the immediate risk of suicide..
Full details of training courses are on the Choose Life website.
This service is available to residents of all parts of Edinburgh
Applicants for this service should also meet this condition:
People affected by suicide or suicidal thoughts.
Contact Info. & Service Address
4E Market Place