Brain Injury Carers Support Project
This project is dedicated to supporting unpaid carers of adults with an acquired brain injury (ABI) and specifically:
- provides information, advice and support to carers
- works with carers to agree personal outcomes which are identified as relevant to the carer
- provides financial planning/benefits advice and advice on house adaptations
- befriending for the cared for person for 2 – 3 hours per week, offering quality and regular respite sessions to carers
- assist carers to maintain or develop a network of social relationships and supports
- assist carers to maximise their level of participation in valued life roles and their inclusion in their home and their own community
- promote feelings of self-confidence and empowerment to make everyday decisions and life choices
Overall, the new project will continue to provide carers with an opportunity to access social, recreational and therapeutic opportunities, help with financial planning/benefits/general advice, emotional support and access to up-to-date appropriate information.
In addition, it will continue to offer our popular 1:1 volunteer support to provide valuable respite opportunities for a maximum time period of 1 year to those who meet the criteria of the Brain Injury Carers Support Project.
Eligibility for 1:1 respite opportunities
Individuals with an ABI to be supported in the community for 2 – 3 hours per week with a trained volunteer must be:
- Be aged 18 years or older
- Have a carer resident in the City of Edinburgh
- Be resident in the City of Edinburgh
- Have an acquired brain injury which was sudden in onset, happened after birth and is not progressive or de-generative.
- Are able to budget for their own expenses when out befriending
- Do not need personal care or moving and handling
- Are able to provide details of a health professional willing to complete a risk assessment form
Our aim continues to be to ensure that carers receive specialised, non-judgmental and flexible support from Edinburgh Headway Group.
Intended Client Groups:
This service is available to residents of all parts of Edinburgh
Applicants for this service should also meet this condition:
Unpaid carers of adults with an acquired brain injury
This service accepts direct self referrals.
Contact Info. & Service Address
Astley Ainslie Hospital