EARS advocates are independent because they are not employed by any social work department, health board or residential/nursing care home.
EARS aims to provide independent advocacy, which will:
- assist and support you to speak up for themselves – self-advocate
- ensure that people who cannot speak up for themselves have their voices heard – advocate on behalf of you
- provide opportunities for you to meet and self-advocate on common issues – collective/group advocacy
- assist you to achieve their goals and/or to access the services they need or would benefit from
- provide the information you need to ensure that they can make informed choices and decisions
- assist you to gain control over their situations and lives
- protect your rights
EARS also strives to raise awareness of the role of advocacy and the benefit advocacy can have in improving people’s outcomes/lives.